Troupes can bring one-act plays and cuttings to perform at State in the following categories: Playwriting, Freestyle, and/or Chapter Select. One-acts can range from staged readings to cuttings and 10 minute plays to fully staged one-acts, both published and original works, depending on the category. Troupes can enter more than one category (as time/space allows). Multiple entries per category are allowed.
- Playwriting Performance: Pre-selected Playwriting winners produce their own original plays and then perform at State, either as a staged reading or a fully staged production. Also, Playwriting shows can be considered for Chapter Select, but those productions should be a fully staged show, and needs to be entered in the Chapter Select category. See separate section for Playwriting Competition information.
- Freestyle: Freestyle is a performance venue open to anyone and just about anything. You can present one-acts, staged readings, cuttings, scenes, original works, 10 minute plays, or simply use it as a venue to share your rehearsed talents.
- Chapter Select: Chapter Select one-acts are screened at State Conference to become the one Chapter Select show recommended to perform at the International Thespian Festival in Lincoln, NE in June as the representative top quality one-act in the Oregon State/Chapter that year. Chapter Select eligible shows will be adjudicated. The selected show, including all cast and crew, must plan to attend Festival and follow the IT Festival regulations regarding performance.
GUIDELINES AND JUDGING STANDARDS FOR OREGON THESPIANS ONE-ACT MARATHON:
- Each show is allowed no longer than 45 minutes for performance, 10 minutes for set up and 5 minutes for strike.
- Plan to perform in a space no larger than 10’ x 15’.
- Use only essential costumes, scenery, and props.
- Furniture and other scenic items are not provided.
- Bring your own sound equipment, such as a portable stereo system, CDs, and speakers loud enough for both actors and audience to hear.
- Stage lighting is not guaranteed in every performance space.
- All One-Acts will be assigned performance space and time.
- All One-Acts will be grouped by category for performances. Be sure to select the correct category when you submit your One Act during your online registration.
- All One-Act Marathon plays will receive feedback from at least one respondent (Playwriting and Freestyle) or two Adjudicators (Chapter Select).
- All One-Acts receiving an overall SUPERIOR rating will be recognized.
ONE ACT MARATHON SOP (2.0)
Click below to see the rubrics used by adjudicators: