The deadline for Playwriting submissions is January 15 each year.
This is a postmark deadline.
Selected Playwrights will be announced at Regionals.
Mail two copies of your play and this form (signed by your Troupe Director) to:Annie Kaiser West Linn HS 5464 West A Street West Linn, OR 97068
• Please read and adhere strictly to the entry guidelines. If you intend to submit your work to the International Festival, check the EdTA website (www.schooltheatre.org) as their guidelines and deadlines do differ.
• Please mail this form (signed by your Troupe Director), with two copies of your play, to the address listed on the Oregon Thespians website (www.oregonthespians.org). The postmark deadline is listed on the website.
• INCLUDE A $10.00 ENTRY FEE IF YOU ARE A THESPIAN ($12 FOR NON-THESPIANS), CHECK MADE OUT TO OREGON THESPIANS.
· Maximum length is 15 double-sided, typewritten pages, or 30 single-sided, typewritten pages, not including title page and dramatis personae.
· Please use 1” – 1 ½” margins.
· Please use a 12-point, simple font.
· Please use all capitals for character indicators.
· Please italicize all stage directions.
· Please number each page.
· Please proofread for correct spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
Plays are Judged based on the following criteria:
1) Character – Are the characters clearly-defined and/or well-developed? Is there enough contrast between characters to create dramatic tension? Are the characters believable within the world of the play?
2) Dialogue – Is each character’s dialogue distinctive, helping to reveal and develop that character? Does expository and descriptive dialogue seem natural and consistent to the character? Is all dialogue motivated by objective, thus contributing to the play’s action?
3) Form – Is the dramatic action a product of character action and interaction? Is there constant dynamic action, moving toward a climax? Is there a satisfactory resolution?
4) Theatricality – Is the dramatic action clearly designed for stage presentation? Can the play be easily staged? Are the stage directions clear and helpful?
• The selection committee is made up of playwrights and theatre professionals from around Oregon.
• Awards will be given to first, second, and third place entries. Certificates of honorable mention may be awarded as well.
• All plays will receive written critiques.
• Meritorious plays will be announced at the Regional Acting Competitions when possible. Playwrights receiving meritorious awards are requested to produce their plays at the State Thespian Conference. Plays may be produced as a full one-act production or as reader’s-theatre-style staged readings. Final recognition of playwrights occurs during the State Festival.
Contact Annie Kaiser with questions (KaiserA@wlwv.k12.or.us)