March 7 is the deadline for the following tasks! Click the link to get ’em done!
PARADE OF TROUPES slides are due by Spring Break. We will post contact information for the PARADE OF TROUPES and ETIQUETTE VIDEO coordinators (where you need to send them) next week.
TROUPE DIRECTORS are reminded to click here to nominate colleagues for State Board positions, as well as for the Melba Day Sparks Henning Award.
March 7 is the deadline for just about everything remaining in the 2012-2013 Thespian Year:
There’s more information forthcoming (especially about Honor Troupe) … but look ahead to March 7 and get it done! Remember that seating in the Elsinore Theatre at State is determined by the order in which your payment is received.
Take a look at the information across the website, and let us know if you have any questions!
Several important items are topics of discussion for the Regional’s Troupe Director and Troupe Presidents meeting. A brief recap/update:
- All Showcase Qualifiers must have their participation in the 2013 Showcase Auditions confirmed by their Troupe Director. This can be done online by clicking here.
- Student Scholarship Applications are now available for download. You can use one application to apply for any of the various scholarshops Oregon Thespians offers. The postmark deadline is March 7.
- Students wishing to run for STO will find updated application materials online within a week of Regionals.
- Likewise, the new Honor Troupe process will be updated online following the incorporation of details discussed at our Troupe Director meeting.
- Thespian “Teamware” shirts can be ordered by using this form. One order per Troupe, for shirts to be delivered at State.
We hope everyone has/had a GREAT REGIONALS DAY!
Thespians from throughout Oregon will gather at three Regional events this Saturday to celebrate the tremendous work being done by High School theatre artists across the state … and to answer the age-old question: If a Thespian comes out on stage and sees his shadow, how many more weeks will we have to endure this winter weather?
Everyone will be hearing from their Tournament Coordinator this week with numbers to assign their entries. Remember to hand in a list of the NAMES that go with each number when you check in on Saturday (please double check accuracy, spelling, and legibility).
Please review THESE IMPORTANT CHANGES one more time, including the new furniture allotment. The only events that will have access to a table are GROUP events and PANTOMIME (we haven’t changed anything there).
The new ballots are posted and available for viewing and download.
And don’t forget to wear your PROFESSIONAL BLACKS. We’re giving a trial run to the new NIES rule that all entrants must be dressed in black. It’s not required in Oregon … we just want to see what all the fuss is about. So, if possible, get your black on so we can make an educated decision about whether or not to adopt this new National rule here (protesting by wearing all pink, though funny, would be counter-productive … and considered a costume). You can, of course, simply dress according to the previous guidelines.
Come on Saturday with a true Thespian spirit of — as our student leaders defined in their goals for this year — “Unity Over Competition.” Let’s celebrate each other and have a terrific event!
January is like Tech Week … so many things coming together in preparation for a big upcoming event! See you on February 2nd at REGIONALS!
Things to consider before returning to school in 2013:
- Prep your Regionals Registration! The online registration site will be live at the first of the year, and the deadline is January 17. You will need to list your Thespian Members who are eligible for the reduced rate, so make sure your inductions are up-to-date and you have access to your Troupe’s list (to see Membership Numbers).
- Recruit Judges for Training! Send qualified judges to this website to register for a Judge Training Day, either January 19 at Jesuit HS in Portland or January 26 at A3 in Springfield. Register by January 17.
- Review the up-to-date Regionals Guidebook and highlighted changes found here. Make sure your students are aware of important changes (like furniture provided) and check to be sure that all material comes from published scripts written for theatre. If your students are interested in competing in Lincoln, you will want to refer to the NIES guidelines for securing performance rights.
- Encourage your student playwrights to submit a finished script to the Playwriting Competition. The application form and submission information will be updated by the first of the year. The submission deadline is January 17.
- Encourage your tech students to have their tech entries reviewed at the Early Entry Tech Feedback at Regionals this year. They’ll need to arrange to have their materials sent (and returned from) the Northeast Regional, but may be able to benefit from this entirely optional pilot program this year. Registration for Early Feedback happens with your Troupe’s Regionals Registration.
- Enjoy the Holidays! Spend time with friends and family and see some great theatre, if possible. The Merriest and Happiest to you!
Check back after January 1 for more updates!
Recruiting qualified judges to provide helpful feedback to our students at Regionals and State is a very important Troupe Director responsibility. There are two ways for you to do this, and NOW IS THE TIME.
1) You can direct your potential judges to this site to register for one of the two Judge Training Days (January 19 at JHS in Portland, January 26 at A3 in Springfield). Judges who attend this training are given priority when scheduling the judges for Regionals. Those who are already State Qualified are encouraged to attend the training as well. Currently Qualified judges can secure their spot at Regionals by attending just the afternoon practice session at each Training Day.
2) You can go to this site yourself, and submit the name (or names) of potential judges. Our Statewide Judge Coordinator (Kelley Marchant) will then reach out to them regarding training and scheduling. You can also recommend contacts you have at college programs, who might be a source for qualified judges and/or workshop leaders.
Remember that judges must be 21 years old, at least four years out of high school, and have the education and experience in theatre that gives them a command of the theatrical principles and skills they will be evaluating.
We need judges! Make it your goal to recruit at least one judge for every ten entries your school brings to Regionals. Review complete Regionals judging information here.
After tremendously helpful discussion with Troupe Directors and Students alike, we have finalized the changes for this year’s Regional Acting Competitions.
See the complete list of updates here. Highlights include:
- We will use essentially the same ballots that we have been, with some minor changes to vocabulary, most notably the column headings over the descriptors. We are replacing the word “poor” with “unprepared” and shifting the adjectives to allow for the inclusion of “Superior” as our top rating. This means that students will now qualify for NIES by receiving one Superior rating at Regionals or State.
- We are adopting the NIES rules for events, including furniture allotment and allowed sources. Review the new guidelines here. Note that all source material must be from published scripts written for the stage. Also, only group events are permitted the use of a table. Solo events get one chair. Duo events get two chairs.
- We are not requiring students to adhere to the “professional black” dress code that is new at NIES this year, but we are encouraging Troupes to try it out so we can form an opinion based on the experience.
Check out the updates here. Thank you to all for participating in this productive and ongoing process.
This year’s State Festival will feature an expanded list of TECH EVENTS for students to enter. Cost to enter is $10 per entry for Thespian Members and $12 per entry for non-Thespian Students.
A complete list of TECH EVENTS can be found here, along with the current DRAFT of each Tech Ballot, complete with entry requirements and guidelines. We are working to align our entry requirements with the National guidelines. Students interested in entering a Tech Event at the National level should explore the National Guidelines in advance.
Also new this year is an EARLY FEEDBACK OPTION for Tech Entries at Regionals. Click here for more information!